Sunday 4 April 2010

Initial Fairy Tale Research

Seeing as it's been about 12 years or so since i read the fairytales myself, I have refreshed my memory and read Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, Pocahontus, Little Red Riding Hood, and Snow White.

I created mind maps of each story, listing the characters, storyline, and imagery from the story.
(these can be seen in my pull out sketchbook) I also added a small amount of imagery I have collected from artists, designers and stills from the film.

The story with the most artist interpretation was definitely Alice in Wonderland. But this probably has something to do with the new film by Tim Burton, so at the moment Alice in Wonderland is very fashionable.

Due to Alice in Wonderland being everywhere, I know that this will not be a story I shall analyse and work with, I'd rather work with a story which has been forgotten, it means I can truly bring it back in a new way. Alice in Wonderland has already been brought back in a new way.

I love all the stories, however I think the most visually rich and exciting hidden meanings will lie in Little Red Riding Hood. But, to clarify this, I shall look analyse some others too, and compare each story, and the content of them. I want to be confident in the Tale I choose to work with. I want there to be enough opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment