Friday 4 June 2010

Anthony Micallef



Anthony Micallef is a contemporary artist who I was recommended to research as part of my project.

His images are very deathly and dark. Most of his pieces are of head studies. He tends to define the lips and chin area, and then above the nose he has put in all the details and then smudged it all away.

I like the piece on the bottom as he has incorporated a deer into a person. I will do a couple of experiments in his style, although as I plan to only make them in 5 mins i'm not expecting them to be sophisticated.

Oil Pastel on Fabric

For this first experiment in the style of Micallef, I used oil pastels on some fabric. I didn't pre mark out my head, I just went straight in, not worrying too much about the outcome.

I started with black, it was tricky at first to apply the waxy pastels to the fabric without distorting it, however it got easier as it went on.

I then went over the black again, making certain areas pitched black. I made certain areas soft also, by brushing and blending on some white spirit. I tried to extend some of the black oil by brushing the various areas outwards with white spirit - This makes it look a bit grubby, which is needed. I then added some white oil in places to add highlights. I also added a hint of red to the lips.

For a first quick attempt I think its ok, although it could do with being more distorted.

I put this into photoshop to see if I could improve it, it looks better on a smaller scale and with the contrast variations and added layer of subtle colour.

Charcoal on Paper

In terms of being inspired by Micallef's style, I am so happy with how this quick experiment turned out. I used the same head as before but I made it much more spooky, and smudging out the top half of the fae, but keeping the bottom half dark and intense.

I love the looseness and the movement in this five minute sketch, its good fun using charcoal so informally, and not worrying too much about the outcome. This style definitely compliments the darkness of my project.

No comments:

Post a Comment