Wednesday 16 June 2010

Process of the Final Piece (2/2)

I had a go at my third large scale painting idea, slightly inspired again my Ian Francis. This time I tried to apply his style into a floral painting, not figurative.

I tried my best to incorporate the background into the image, and not make it in an instantly easy image to understand from the eyes.


In the top image you will see the four flowers, however I wasn't happy with the flower at the bottom so I decided to gradually cover it and have a gradient from light to dark from the top to the bottom. This then helped to define the bottom flower edge and the middle bottom and side petals.


I used the water spray lots whilst painting this, I used acrylics and built the lauers up gradually, adding slightly more detail to specific areas each time.

The final part I did, was add a touch of white to the bottom right. This breaks up the darkness


Painting Evaluation

I chose to paint these flowers as they have been an integral piece of imagery to represent the beauty and happiness in my project.

However I need to add the contradicting mood to this piece of imagery. So to make them not so positive and alive, I used quite lifeless colours, with a hint of pink and gold shining through.

I really like the upper left segment, I love the subtle way the petals blend into the background and how the darker tones define, but in a really minimal way. I also like how paint dripped across which I didn't have much control over.

I quite like this painting, but before its properly finished, I need to combine it with another layer on photoshop.

Digital Edits
Painting & Illustration






My aim for the flower painting was to combine it with another layer and then make it compliment my first finished piece of the girl with the antlers.

So for those edits, I merged my flower and skull illustration on top of the painting using different layer styles to experiment with how to achieve different effects.

However I am not happy with any of them, they don't compliment my other piece and they are just far too complicated and don't look good in general. I need to keep experimenting with the formula to getting a second piece which compliments my first...

Painting & Photography

I finally think I am getting there now...

I have found the formula for getting a piece to compliment my first piece of the deer girl. The added layer needed to be a photography layer, not a drawn illustration layer.


I started with my original flower painting, then flipped it horizontally. I then placed my photograph of the carnations which I took, and changed the layer style to soft light, and reduced the opacity. This enabled the painting to show through, but also let the photography to show through and add subtle definition, and a certain effect which is in the deer girl painting, which was also achieved by adding the photography.

When I placed this piece next to my deer girl piece, it works well, except it needs to be slightly redder than pink.


I love this one in its own right too, however its too light for it to compliment for first piece.

When comparing my last edits, one thing I realised, was that if my flower piece had an element from my deer girl piece, then they would both have something in common, including the paint effect, and colour.

So, on the experiment above I placed the top right corner of my deer girl painting over the flower painting. I then changed the layer style to darker colour, and to my surprise, it did this(the effect)!

I think its very unusual, however I really like it! Having the background with flowers over the top is very subtle but quirky, however although I like this in itself, its still not quite complimentary to my deer girl piece.

My Second Final Outcome


No comments:

Post a Comment