Thursday 17 June 2010

Final Final Final Overall Evaluation

This has been such a tough project, with many problems that I had to overcome along the way, however now everything is finished, I am so happy with what I have achieved, in not only my final piece's aesthetics, but the research and the concepts which I have involved with all my pieces, there are so many layers of importance involved that have come from hours and hours of research, analysis and thought.

The hardest part was defining what I was trying to communicate for my project proposal, it was tough having a vision in my mind, but not knowing how to put it into words on paper. Not knowing quite what I was trying to communicate immediately then made it very difficult for me to produce any work, as when you are creating a piece, the first thing you should be thinking is 'what am I trying to communicate?' So the slow start with putting the pin point on what my project was about, then had an effect on me not knowing what work to create. I just didn't know where to begin. I was stressed out, frustrated, worried and tired...

I then reflected on any ideas I had already had, and any small pieces I had made, and I realised one thing, and that was the contrasts.

My work was made up of contrasts, contrasting imagery, contrasting moods, contrasting colours and contrasting mediums. As soon as I spotted all this, I then turned my project into a whole new meaning, using these juxtapositions to form a brief. 'Darkness in Disguise' fitted with my concepts relating back to my initial Fairy Tale analysis, as well as juxtaposing dark with light to conceal or bring a double meaning to the feeling of positivity or negativity, referring back again to not everything being what it seems on the surface...

As soon as I knew that I was communicating 'Darkness in Disguise' my whole mood and project instantly turned around for the better. My concepts got backed up with art related as well as non art related research, creating an even more solid base.

I had so much fun taking all the contrasting symbols from my analysed fairy tale stories and juxtaposing them together in a way which was often inspired by another artist. A massively inspirational day to me was at the 'Pick Me Up Show', there were so many talented contemporary designers there, and I tried to just absorb as much as I physically could, I could have gone round and round the exhibition all day, picking up new details each time.

However the single most influential thing to me from the start, has been Alexander McQueen. His concepts were so in line with what I was trying to achieve, he was a genius. His pieces were so visually rich with intense, beautiful colours, patterns and trademark symbols, but then at the same time the pieces were often so fragile, his art forms were most definitely a form of personal expression.

Having a streak of his influence running from the start to the finish has been a grounding point for my sketchbook and my outcomes. I really wish my second final piece could have been printed onto a silk scarf, as I think this piece is especially meant for being on a fabric, as my major influence from McQueen was a print on a silk scarf.

I really tried in this project to keep on going imagery throughout, and not introduce more and more and more. I focused on two photographs I took for my florals, one being the carnation, the other the cornelia. The florals were to represent the nature from the fairy tales, and life and positivity and beauty - also a symbol within Snow White.

The organs and the skulls were used as a way to represent the darker side, as the organs within the fairy tale always had deathly associations. And the skull is a widely known symbol of poison and death, so it seemed like a more obvious choice which not only connects with Alexander McQueen and the skull being his trademark, but also it adds a feeling of familiarity to an onlooker, as although there are things which need to be disguised, there does also have to be elements which are understandable from the surface, as there is in a fairy tale.

I feel all my work is fairly balanced when it comes to the symbols, and I think my final piece is created not only to look good, but with a lot of background understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment