Wednesday 16 June 2010

Exhibition Inspiration


I went to a really contemporary exhibition at Somerset House, and whilst I was there, I took note of the ways the artists were displaying their work.

The way which really stood out as a good idea and that seems to be a very current way of displaying your work, is with clips.


These are such a good idea as it means you don't have to worry about damaging your image, which you may get if you use a fixative on it directly.

To apply the clips onto the wall, there could be a variety of ways. The artist above has a wall with regular holes spaced all over it, and he has simply placed a screw into the gaps, before hooking the clip over. This keeps it level too.

I bought some giant silver clips to experiment with.


I bought large clips to go with the scale of my final piece. It wouldn't be appropriate to use a small clip as it might not be strong enough for the weight of the paper. It would also look a bit out of place.

Illustrations of How I Can Fix Up The Clips


Weighing Down The Pieces

Due to the size of my pieces (A0) and how they have been stored rolled up, when I come to fix them on the wall, they won't be straight, so I need to think of a way have them hanging flat.

I could either:

Fix metal meter rulers at the sides and bottom of the paper, to straighten it out and weigh it down - However, this would require using some form of fixative on the paper which could both ruin it after/make the surface distorted.

Apply to the bottom edge the same as I do with the clips at the top.
This weighs it down and keeps the paper perfect.

The most difficult part of fixing the image with the clips and the hooks, is keeping the image level. To make sure the nails and clips go in level, I can either:

-Measure from the ceiling/floor, and measure the same length down/up, then mark on the wall, then screw in the nails.

-Screw in one nail, then wrap some string round it and pull the string across the wall use a level to keep the string level, then fix in the second screw.

Other materials I could use to hang pictures
-Velcro
-Magnets
-Eyelets and hanging chain through
-Spray Mount
-Poster Squares

Personalising the Clips?
-I could use a sharpie marker pen to illustrate a pattern onto the actual clips. I think this would add a small touch which makes a difference to the overall presentation.

Out of all the options with hanging the pictures, I do want to keep the materials and method as simple as possible, this is due to the highly maximal pieces I am choosing to exhibit. So at the moment I shall stick with the clips and the nail/screw idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment