Wednesday 16 June 2010

Process of The Final Painting (Piece 1/2)

The Start...

As I have decided on Ian Francis as my basis for my inspiration, it meant that I decided on my portraiture idea. This is because it is figures which Ian typically choses to paint. I think if you add a person it can add an air of emotion or feeling easier because of the expression from the subjects face and body language I like the idea of painting a figure, especially after my previous figurative illustrations, and because I can reflect my project well with a person...

I specifically chose this photo to paint from because I think her face reflects she is trying to hide her emotion. I think she has painful thoughts she may be trying to hide.

This will relate well to my project proposal as she is disguising her emotion.

Photocopied To A3

The Start Of The Painting

So to start off my painting process, I photocopied my photo to A3, then stuck it on my canvas. I then started on the back ground. I started by wetting the area down, then applying the watery acrylic from the top so it expands out, I then tilted it to drip down. I then added more paint, sprayed it, and tilted it again. I'm so pleased with how this turned out.





Once I had made a basic start with the back ground, I started painting the figure. I painted directly onto the photocopy as this would enable me to get the proportions exact. I didn't shy away from the paint, I used it confidently and thickly, making sure I define the shadows well.


I didn't define the right arm because I want it to gradually blend with the background. I kept the lower part of the body very basic as obviously I wanted to have contrasts with the intensity of certain areas.




When I finished the first paint layer on the body, I decided that I wanted to juxtapose antlers. This would add to the meaning 'everything isn't as it seems'.

I made one side quite dramatic and I kept the other one much less of a statement, spraying the paint so it bleeds out.

I really love this now, I need to add more detail to the lips, nose shadows etc, and possibly add a heart?...

Addition of the Heart...


I felt I wanted to try adding a heart to the body because it would then bring all my work in this sketchbook round to a full circle. However as soon as I started it, I knew it was a mistake. It was one detail too far. I need to learn when to stop and this is a definite mistake. I wasn't sure what to do with the body, therefore I just added thin layers of the base background colour over.



I really liked the top which I painted before, however I dont think that was right either. So, I decided to reflect back to Ian Francis's work, and take a break from the painting.

When I looked at his work, and how he brings the picture together, I noticed he uses small areas of block colour and line and also makes little segments of areas but really subtly. So I tried this, and I think its the best option.

You can see the bottom right I started a new layer of drips and sprays which cut into the side of the figure. I didn't want to over do it with paint anymore, so I may alter slightly in photoshop.

Painting Morphed With Original Photo

I think from looking at my painting, and looking at Ian Francis's pieces, there is a tiny similarity between styles which I am really happy about. I think I have captured the emotion and the surreality however there was something missing...

I wasn't confident with the body area still - I felt it wasn't quite complete.

So I realised I could incorporate the original photo with the painting. This was helped by me working in direct proportion on to the photocopy - It fitted.

I arranged the original photo over my painting and re sized it and moved it to the right place. I then changed the layer style to overlay and it added another dimension to the face and the body.


The difference the photo makes is astounding, and now looks even more like Ian Francis.

Experimenting with the Colours Balance

I had a go at editing the hues and saturation of the original, just to show me the other options, just incase they looked better or worse than what I had to begin with.



I think the colour that I had to begin with works better than any of the experiments above. But im glad I tried other variations anyway.

Experiments with added Floral Illustration Layer

After my other edit's to the painting on photoshop, I decided to go one more step further. I felt that because it is a sombre image, it just needed one more subtle detail which contradicts the mood.

So using my flowers and skull illustration, from the McQueen section, I added it onto the image. I didn't want it to be one step too far, so I changed the layer style to lighten and then turned down the opacity so it was even fainter. I didn't want it to be an attention grabbing detail, just subtle enough to notice after a white of looking. I made 4 compositions, all similar but different in some way.




The Final Final Variation For Colour and Layout.

No comments:

Post a Comment