Friday 4 June 2010

Deer Heart


This piece of graphic design was a massive source of inspiration for me. The deer which links well with my project due to it being a part of forest wildlife - symbols in fairy tales. I feel it has the potential shape to be morphed into a heart. The antlers look like the veins, and I feel I could edit it so that the deers neck and back also shape into a heart.

I really like this design by Giovanetti - I think its contemporary surrealism because of how he has cut into the deer which made me see the heart in the first place.

To start the process of being inspired - I did a light pencil drawing influenced by the image above, however I changed the shape to make it loosely into a heart. I really love how it turned out, and I think there is a lot of potential good artwork to come from it.


Screen Prints

I made a really quick stencil to see if I could turn this initial drawing into a successful screen print. I was amazed at how well it came out. I tried a red background with pink for the highlights on to white paper, and then onto a shimmery green paper.


The green really brought the colours out well. It looked much more effective than on the white paper.

I then cut out the deer, cut out the pink parts, and then stuck it on top of a photocopy of my flowers, which I then really loosely added watercolours onto. I placed a pattern behind the cut out segments of the deer.


I also stitched a skull over the top of the screen print and watercolour, to bring the layers together.



Mixed Media
Here I used layers of very watered down watercolour paints, pencil and my sewing machine. I think the overall look is very subtle and pretty, so it is only communicating one side of my project, which is the positive, some how I would need to incorporate another element to make it slightly darker in some way.


Back of the piece above

Screen Print with sewing.
I love this one, I only printed on the highlights, and I then filled in the outline using my sewing machine. With this also being on the green paper, it makes it particularly effective. I would love to have a series in this way. I love the green against the pink.

No comments:

Post a Comment